Skip to main content

A streak of inspiration

Since childhood I have this huge attraction for Indian handicrafts and I try my best not to miss a single handicrafts fair/ exhibition organized in my city. Moreover when I travel I make sure that I visit the handicrafts market of that particular region. Buying handmade things gives me immense joy also I own quite a collection of such beautiful things.
So last weekend I happened to visit this huge event called Kala Varso ( Inheritance of Art) organised at Science Center Surat. Actually I was unaware that such exhibition has been organised but Neha di knew about it. We were out for buying some stuff that day so after grabbing a bite at varie-tea, (my fav hang out place) we decided to take a look at what the exhibition has to offer. 
To my surprise the exhibition was very well managed. There were stalls of artisans representing almost every region of our country. They were demonstrating the special features of their craft which varied from region to region but the enormous amount of beauty and creativity which I witnessed was too much for my eyes to handle. 
We decided to talk to the artisans and seek some inspiration for Neha di's upcoming startup of promoting Indian handicrafts amongst the youth.  Fortunately that day I was carrying my diary and pen and I took notes of struggle stories of several artisans.


Between all the glamour of the artisans who were National award  winners and associated with fancy NGOs, I came across this extremely simple lady who has specialized in crafting things from dried remains of bamboo trees. Moreover she had hardly used any artificial dye on her products. 
Her name is Sharda Bai Verma. She hails from Ujjain district Madhya Pradesh. Brooms, flower vases, dolls, wall hangings all made from eco friendly raw material is her area of specialization. 
When I asked for her contact details she untied a knot at the edge of her saree and gave us the hand written piece of paper with her contact details written on it in Hindi. She was very happy to share her details with us. I was literally moved by her simplicity. 
She is the best example of using the existing resource to generate income. If we need to materialize our idea we crib about the lack of logistics but this woman is single handedly managing her business with whatever she can avail from the surroundings..  
    

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A strange trip to the City of Dreams

No matter what is your religious orientation, you'll definitely have a Christmas plan. I too had a plan for Christmas 2015. I always wanted to attend the Midnight Mass at a church on Christmas eve. So I and my friend decided to go to Mumbai to attend the same. We were planning this trip before 4 months of Christmas day and we ended up booking tickets for the trip before 2 months. Meanwhile when we were deciding regarding when to go and where to stay during the trip, some other friends showed interest. One of them was my friend's BF and one other couple whom I barely knew showed interest in joining us. I kind of loved the idea of traveling with strangers so we booked tickets for five of us and we made a WhatsApp group for organizing our trip. So our (me and my friend) plan was to have dinner after reaching Mumbai, go to the Church, attend the mass, spend some time around, rest at railway station, board a train in morning to come back home. Then the other group members suggeste

10 one liners to tell you why I love Arnab Goswami.

Not having TV at home has its own pros and cons. I never get to see news. And when I plan to watch something on youtube, I choose to watch Comedy Nights with Kapil or inspiring TED Talks. I have liked the FB page of TOI so I get notifications of important news reports which I read sometimes if the headline interests me. And reading news papers nowadays don't fit my schedule. Moreover I'am kind a bored by reading same newspaper in Gujarati since 8 years as the writers are same and mostly their writings show repetition.  A month back on a free afternoon, I was trying to search something interesting to watch on youtube and I came across one video of news hour debate on India's_Godman_culture conducted by Arnab Goswami. That was the first time I saw Arnab Goswami though I had watched TVF spoof of Arnab Goswami done by Arnub Kumar. I watched that whole debate and those 45 minutes my eyes were completely glued on my laptop screen. I had just started admiring this super aw

PJ King : Chintan Jethva

Suppose you are in a strange land with no known people around you and coincidentally you find a person from your place (country/state/city) whom you had never met before. Only thing you know about him/her is that he/she is from your land. At once you’ll be friends with that person and a fabric of trust will connect you both immediately. This is exactly how I felt when I first met this extremely crazy person; Chintan. Being only kid at home I always missed those funny sibling rivalries. Though, I requested all neighbourhood guys in my society to be my brothers so that on Rakshabandhan day I can earn some gifts. Growing up playing with them was ultimate childhood experience but they never fought with me.  So I was pretty hopeless of finding a part time sibling to fight with, unless I met Tin Tin.  Yes. That is how I shout at Chintan.         Cartoon-giri This guy is extremely moody. No one in SAS-9 is spared experiencing Tin Tin in his bad mood days. Life is Unpredictab