Skip to main content

Bholi Maya -1

Since childhood I have been tagged as 'bholi' (gullible). According to my parents it is very easy to fool me and take advantage of me. While growing up my mum used to take all updates from school and play to ensure that I am not hanging out with spoiled kids as it was very easy to influence me. I hated the fact that they considered me gullible but later on in life I realized that their observation had some trace of truth. Its my nature that I trust people and believe what they say or express. this trait of mine has put me in trouble a lot of times infact over the years I have learnt to cross examine people and situations but yet sometimes I get trapped. I would like to share with you all a recent incidence which was an eyeopener for me. I really need to work on controlling my nature of trusting people.

I was Jagriti Yatra 2016 participant and during the journey we were told that we might get a call from the sponsors of our yatra to know our experience on the train and what we gained from the 15 days journey on the Indian terrain. Since I went on the journey with half sponsorship, I was anticipating a call from the sponsors. A week after the yatra I got a call from Wall Street Journal, India and the person on the call introduced himself as Joseph working at WSJ as a journalist and wanted to write an article on my Yatra experience. At first I found this strange but then I realized this can be a call from the sponsors. I replied to everything what this guy asked. Even I asked him questions just to ensure that the call is genuine, but this guy sounded so convincing. He shared his travel stories, how he is so concerned about climate change and did go to Antarctica for some research work. Also how much he enjoys working in India and about his Gujarati neighbors in Delhi. He mentioned name of some Gujarati dishes and he knew some Gujarati sentences as well. His accent was very European and we spoke for about an hour. After the conversation I did think that this guy might be a fraud but this could be a prank call never came to my mind. This phone conversation was in January 2017.

In March 2017, I again got a call from Joseph. Meanwhile I had saved his number and tried finding him on social media. There was no trace of Joseph who had so many articles and research papers published under his name. By this time I had lost interest in talking to this guy also I wasn't very keen on wasting my 1 hr in the long conversations. Yeah so coming back to the call of March 2017, I received the call and told him that I am involved in some work and would talk later, yet he was being pushy for making me listen to details he wanted to share. He informed me about his plans to visit PRL Ahmedabad and would need my assistance. To cut short the call time I politely replied that I would try to help him with his ahmedabad trip, yet he insisted to talk as otherwise he is a busy person and had a meeting at PMO (Prime Minister's Office) that day. I clearly told him about my involvement in other work and cut the call. That day I really felt something fishy. What all this guy was bluffing... Workshop at PRL and meeting with PM. I decided not to answer his calls anymore. 

Two weeks later, On April fool's day in evening I saw name 'Joseph' flashing on my phone screen, I didn't receive the call. He called twice. I didn't respond. Later in few minutes, I got a call from unknown number, I checked on true caller which said the number belonged to Ronak Mehta. I had doubt that this guy Joseph was calling from other number so I didn't receive. He (unknown number) called twice then. I ignored the call. Next day in morning, I was out for a meeting and I got a call from an unknown number. I received the call and a guy said; "Tu maro phone kem nathi upadti (why u aren't receiving my call). I recognized Jigar's (college friend) voice. It was the same unknown number from which I was getting calls the previous evening. I told him whole story and I ignored the calls from unknown number as I wanted to avoid fraudulent Joseph's calls.

He started laughing and asked me, "Don't you think someone might have played a prank on you?". I replied, "No. Because I don't think someone can talk with that accent for so long referring our first conversation". To my surprise Jigar did speak  two sentences as Joseph. I was still in phase of denial and he told me to call on Joseph's number. I did that and really Jigar received the call. I was awestruck by his acting skills. At the same time I felt awful for my gullibility. This was the biggest prank I've ever been part of and I am sure this memory will last forever. Moreover Jigar tried with other friends as well but they caught him instantly. I narrated this story of being fooled from January 2017 to April 2017 to my friends and it was difficult to make them stop laughing. 

Is there any guide/book to teach me not to be so gullible. Guys if you find one.. do suggest. 



Comments

  1. Chillax dear.. No guide book as such.. Just sharpen ur observational skills.. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A strange trip to the City of Dreams

No matter what is your religious orientation, you'll definitely have a Christmas plan. I too had a plan for Christmas 2015. I always wanted to attend the Midnight Mass at a church on Christmas eve. So I and my friend decided to go to Mumbai to attend the same. We were planning this trip before 4 months of Christmas day and we ended up booking tickets for the trip before 2 months. Meanwhile when we were deciding regarding when to go and where to stay during the trip, some other friends showed interest. One of them was my friend's BF and one other couple whom I barely knew showed interest in joining us. I kind of loved the idea of traveling with strangers so we booked tickets for five of us and we made a WhatsApp group for organizing our trip. So our (me and my friend) plan was to have dinner after reaching Mumbai, go to the Church, attend the mass, spend some time around, rest at railway station, board a train in morning to come back home. Then the other group members suggeste

10 one liners to tell you why I love Arnab Goswami.

Not having TV at home has its own pros and cons. I never get to see news. And when I plan to watch something on youtube, I choose to watch Comedy Nights with Kapil or inspiring TED Talks. I have liked the FB page of TOI so I get notifications of important news reports which I read sometimes if the headline interests me. And reading news papers nowadays don't fit my schedule. Moreover I'am kind a bored by reading same newspaper in Gujarati since 8 years as the writers are same and mostly their writings show repetition.  A month back on a free afternoon, I was trying to search something interesting to watch on youtube and I came across one video of news hour debate on India's_Godman_culture conducted by Arnab Goswami. That was the first time I saw Arnab Goswami though I had watched TVF spoof of Arnab Goswami done by Arnub Kumar. I watched that whole debate and those 45 minutes my eyes were completely glued on my laptop screen. I had just started admiring this super aw

PJ King : Chintan Jethva

Suppose you are in a strange land with no known people around you and coincidentally you find a person from your place (country/state/city) whom you had never met before. Only thing you know about him/her is that he/she is from your land. At once you’ll be friends with that person and a fabric of trust will connect you both immediately. This is exactly how I felt when I first met this extremely crazy person; Chintan. Being only kid at home I always missed those funny sibling rivalries. Though, I requested all neighbourhood guys in my society to be my brothers so that on Rakshabandhan day I can earn some gifts. Growing up playing with them was ultimate childhood experience but they never fought with me.  So I was pretty hopeless of finding a part time sibling to fight with, unless I met Tin Tin.  Yes. That is how I shout at Chintan.         Cartoon-giri This guy is extremely moody. No one in SAS-9 is spared experiencing Tin Tin in his bad mood days. Life is Unpredictab